Alembic 0.9 released, conversation with studios now open
Alembic, an open source co-project by ILM and Sony announced this July, has just reached 0.9 stage.
Alembic bakes complex animated scenes with FX into simple non-procedural data ready to be freely used in any pipeline.
Developers want to make sure the following is considered by users:
- This is not a 1.0, therefore commercial or date driven work should not depend on this version.
- The team welcomes feedback and encourages you to post to the Alembic discussion list or email the team directly.
- Developers would like to collect all .9 feedback during November.
- They are targeting a 1.0 release early 2011, but that will depend on the reports they get on this version. Therefore, no dates are committed to at this time.
- 64-bit unix-like OS (Linux, Mac OS X)
- CMake (2.8.0)
- Boost (1.42)
- ilmbase (1.0.1)
- HDF5 (1.8.5-patch1)
- Autodesk Maya (2010)
- Pixar PRMan (15.x)
- OpenEXR (1.6.1)
With the .9 release, the team will begin to engage in conversations with studios and a few vendors about the code and incorporating feedback to help them get to a 1.0 release. This version is avaliable for downloading here.